Tuesday, February 20, 2007

 

Busy Moms Weight-loss Guide

As I have been trying to lose weight after having children and trying to get back to what I used to look like, it is a struggle. Every one tells you that you need to add some type of exercise to your daily life. Ok, I have four kids, a husband, a house and a dog. When do I fit some type of exercise in? There are many things that get in your way and many things that can help. Here is a list of suggestions that I have come up with to help that busy mom, dad, or grandparent.
1. Involve the kids. I have found that many people can not believe all the energy some kids have. Use it. If your kids want to go out, you go out with them. The laundry and the dishes can wait. Cranky kids will usually settle down once they are outside and there is something else to look at. I have found that if I tell my three year old that we are going to go for a walk today, it usually happens. Do you realize how persistent a three year old can be?
2. Get into a routine. My kids function better and they get used to the fact that mom is doing her exercises at a certain time each day or every other day. How many of our kids today need cut down on TV and video games? Kids can make exercise fun. Ever watch a three year old try to master a jumping jack?
3. Learn from your kids. Playing is the best type of exercise. Play tag, or have your kids invent a new game. So what if it is silly. You are building a child’s self esteem and a relationship with that child. It will come in handy when they are teenagers. Ever try to keep up with any child that loves to be outdoors?
4. Clean the house. Yes, the house needs to be cleaned and you can get your heart rate up at the same time. Ever try dancing while you’re vacuuming? Turn up the tunes and practice that funky new dance step or make up your own. My ten year old is very creative and we have a good laugh while we are doing it. How about getting rid of that long mop handle and get down on your hands and knees to mop. Put in a few push ups or sit ups while you’re down there.
5. Get a dog. Yep one more thing to add to your list. Take that dog for a walk, run, or jog. Let the pet set the pace. Dogs can walk pretty fast and it is good for them too.
6. One last thing that I have learned, it has taken me a long time, is the fact that I can not control everything. The kids get sick, the dog will run off and I will not always get in that ½ hour or hour of exercise in. It is okay. Find another way to add some more movement to your life.
Every little movement helps. You do not need the expensive gym membership or the fancy new equipment in your basement. Find little things in your every day routine that will help. Run up the stairs, park far away from the door as possible when going to the store. Exercise can be fun if you let it be, make it fun!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?